Carthage Mills' Livestock Mud MatTM
- It is essential that livestock producers understand that mud hinders cost-efficient livestock production and efforts should be made to limit the creation of mud.
- The creation of mud costs livestock producers money and makes them less competitive.
- Livestock that walk through mud require more feed for energy but actually eat less because walking in mud requires more effort to get to feed and water.
- Mud decreases average daily gains (refer to Tables 1 and 2 below).
|TABLE 1: The following table can be used for feedlot performance projections according to mud conditions (1):
|Dew claw deep
|Below hock deep
|TABLE 2: Actual Effects of Mud on Cattle (2)
|Mud Depth (in.)
||Total Feed Required (%)
||Feed Intake (%)
||Daily Gains (%)
||-8 to -15%
|1According to Ohio State University
||2According to the University of Kentucky
A few additional health related issues that the presence of mud causes to livestock include:
- Mud accumulation on the coat increases the amount of energy needed to generate heat in the winter or to keep cool in the summer.
- Increased number of insects along with the diseases they harbor.
- Increased risk of protozoan and/or bacterial infections.
- Increased animal stress that leads to a variety of health problems.
University of Kentucky College of Agriculture, Food and Environment:
Short article provides a wealth of knowledge on the effects of mud on livestock and possible solutions.
SOLUTION & HOW IT WORKS:
Livestock Mud MatTM will separate your cover material from the mud below, and prevent it from intermixing, as well as evenly distribute weight preventing 'ruts' or 'depressed areas' that would negatively impact the health of the livestock. This will extend the life of the cover material, reduce the effects of mud on livestock, and stabilize the surface area. This healthier environment will improve the footing and hoof health of your livestock.
Hardening heavily-used livestock areas can decrease the creation of mud, create an area that is easier to maintain, reduce the amount of feed wasted and required by livestock, and save time and money by eliminating the need to renovate bare areas.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
Some features and benefits of Carthage Mills Livestock Mud MatTM include:
- Separation and Soil Retention
With superior soil-retention the Livestock Mud MatTM provides separation between the ground and the chosen cover material, and thus prevents the intermixing of the two. Examples of cover material include: straw (good option), wood chips (better option), 6-8" of compacted gravel (best option). View the Installation Recommendation at the right of this page for more information.
Delivers immediate support and load distribution, thus preventing ruts or 'sinking in the mud'.
- Filtration and High Permittivity
Excellent soil retention and high permittivity properties promote drainage.
- Strength and Durability
Livestock Mud MatTM is constructed of 100% polypropylene staple filaments that have been needle-punched and heat-set for stability, and effectively distribute weight to prevent rutting in livestock concentration areas.
Call or E-mail us for Product Information, Pricing and Availability.